Respecting Religions as the First Step for Globalization

So, today, I checked the total PV of my blog, and it turns out Japan, for the first time, has surpassed the US as the largest source of viewers of my posts. In other words, the blog has entered the period where more people come to me for understanding what is outside of Japan (more mentally and philosophically than physically, of course) rather than what is inside Japan (socio-culturally and physically). And since I have so far largely played a travelling passive observer role voicing opinions on real situations, perhaps, as many have suggested, becoming more proactive in my suggestions for improvements may serve the blog very well.

Of course, as a new grad with rather superficial contact with Japanese people (occasionally drinking would not suffice as truly understanding Japanese culture...), the thing I can probably talk about the most is regarding how Japan can become less self-righteous ("this is Japan, do the Japanese way"), even secretively, when dealing with foreigners. My first suggestion regarding the matter is for the Japanese (and other Asians) to study different religions.

First, I need to be clear that I myself is not religious at all and is not planning to be religious any time soon (in fact, I do see the underlying socio-political purpose of each major religion as a major detracting factor compromising supposed moral authority). Yet, precisely because I am this way that I can relate to most Japanese, who see little value in religion besides commercial purposes (Christmas shopping, Church Wedding, Buddhist funerals). The importance of religious identity is simply not understood at all in this society.

The fact that Shinto, Japan's national "religion," is so connected with Japanese ethnic identity (much like Hinduism, and to a lesser extent, Judaism) does not help the Japanese comprehend what universal religions like Christianity and Islam (and their different sects) means for a person's existence. To simply put, the concept that religion can allow for a true creation and maintenance of supranational cultural identity, forming Christian and Islamic communities, is not a phenomenon that can be emulated by the likes of Shinto.

Such a lack of understanding cause the Japanese (and, again, many other Asians), to maximize the cultural impact of a nationality (say, the Britons) at the expense of a religious background (say, the Anglicans). They tend to think that while nationality is held as a constant for most people, religion, on the other hand, can be switched rather easily according to practical needs. Japanese liking for Christian-style wedding and Buddhist-style funeral represents this thought rather well.

Taking religion in such a light way toward religious people (and people like me who understand the seriousness of the religious people) is bound to cause serious social conflicts. Two examples I faced myself can illustrate this point. (1) Not that long ago in Japan, I was once asked whether I would marry anyone who is religious (as I am an atheist). In response to my answer that "as long as the other side does not mind," the reply I received was, "what do you care, you do not have a religion anyways, just convert!"

Right, converting for romance maybe the biggest no-no that I can think of when it comes to devotees. Changing entire moral code and swearing allegiance to another deity require much more convincingly rationale than for marriage, especially when an eternity of afterlife (compared to at most few decades of marriage) is at stake. But at least romance is a "purer" reason for converting than for money...which leads to my second example. It is regarding how new Chinese and Korean immigrants suddenly become Christians when they go to the States.

My parents thought about it as well (even dragging me to a few Church services). But talking to people there, we found out that no one really understood the moral value and responsibilities of being Christian (despite all the sermons they devotedly attend every week). They were practically all there (at least at first) for connections within the community so they can live better lives in the new country. So, in a sense, the local ethnic church is no different from an ethnic support or "community center"...

Sure, that is not to say that all Asians are incapable of devoting to religions (the crazy Korean missionaries in the Middle East would kill me for this sort of comment), but for most of them, religion itself comes much lower in priority compares to all the other perks and benefits being religious brings. To think like this is, honestly put, a huge insult to people who remained faithful to one religion and passed down the orthodox values for generations. Japanese and other Asians need to clearly understand this point.

Comments

  1. This is my Good luck that I found your post which is according to my search and topic, I think you are a great blogger, thanks for helping me outta my problem..
    Free Dissertation Topics List

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sexualization of Japanese School Uniform: Beauty in the Eyes of the Holders or the Beholders?

Asian Men Are Less "Manly"?!

Instigator and Facilitator: the Emotional Distraught of a Mid-Level Manager